are you tired of school as it is?
- Have you ever wished that school was different?
- Are you tired of doing the same old thing day after day even though you know it is not effective?
- What if you found out if there is a better way, a way to encourage natural learning?
- Maybe you already know better ways to free kids from busywork, but feel constrained by the system and forced to repeat behaviors that you know are not working.
You can become an EE (Enlightened Educator) or maybe even an RS (Responsible Subversive)!
what is an enlightened educator?
An Enlightened Educator is someone who works at the school as a teacher, administrator, or as support staff who understands that children have rights and freedoms and should be able choose what they will learn, when they will learn it, and who they will learn it with. An enlightened educator is working on freeing themselves from busy work, grading, and testing.
An Enlightened Educator is willing to work with younger people and their families to create an unschooling space in their classroom or building with the support of the building and district administration.
An Enlightened Educator is building a network or allies and resources to spread the word about Unschooling School.
An Enlightened Educator is willing to denounce coercion as a bullying tactic and a tactic that is harmful to human beings and causes physical and mental illness.
An Enlightened Educator places the mental health and well-being of people she works with above all other concerns including curriculum, testing, grades and teacher evaluations.
An Enlightened Educator is not worried about their evaluations from others and focuses on self-evaluation and constructive input from co-learners including parents and younger people.
What is a responsible subversive?
A Responsible Subversive is someone who works at the school as a teacher, administrator, or as support staff who understands that children have rights and freedoms and should be able choose what they will learn, when they will learn it, and who they will learn it with.
A Responsible Subversive is actively trying to fight stupidity at school. They are looking for ways to help younger people direct their own learning. They advise parents on how to “unschool school”, and give them forms that they can use to designate their younger person an FL (Free Learner). They regularly challenge the status quo and constantly question ideas that lead to more restriction of student rights and freedom.
A Responsible Subversive looks for younger people and families who don’t seem to fit the school mode and alerts them to the existence of “Unschooling School”, helping them follow the steps to become an FL.
Derry Hannam talking about
show your support
- Get Out of the Way and Let Kids Learn, How We Can Transform Schools and Reintroduce Natural Learning, by Carl Rust.
- The Teacher Liberation Handbook, by Joel Hammon.
- Guerrilla Learning, How to Give Your Kids A Real Education With or Without School, by Grace Llewellyn and Amy Silver.
“...we need to educate our students with the goal of amelioration of society and the individual. We cannot reduce our students to a set of skills that they can be tested on.” - Democratic Teacher, Ricci