Phase 1 - Initiation
- We have a website in progress and we are reaching out to the converted—people already involved in unschooling, self-directed education, or systems change.
- We are looking for involvement: input and content for the website, organizations that could be partners, people who want to get their hands dirty and help make this happen.
Phase 2 - early adopters
This is where we are as we adjust during COVID.
- The website is complete and we have a team of people and organizations spreading the word.
- Hundreds of people are signing the Resolution, becoming supporters and using the Tools section to have family discussions around the Free Learner (FL) designation and how they will change their approach to school.
- Champions have stepped forward to create Unschooling School Chapters (at the city, town, province or state level) and are engaging organizations and media to raise awareness.
- FL families are spreading the word to friends and working to form groups of people (Pods) in their local area who are committed to creating an Unschooling School movement at their school.
- Youth leaders have emerged and are engaging their peers via social media and conversation.
- Enlightened Educators have come on board and are enthusiastically working with kids and parents to ensure FL kids are at choice in their school.
- Resistant Educators are learning that kids and parents hold the power. They are realizing that coercive tactics only work when people accepted them and that documents which outline FL rights and responsibilities render kids immune to coercion.
- Parents and kids are educating themselves about the power of self-directed education and are realizing the many alternatives to a high school diploma—both for access to college/university and for happiness and success in life.
“Children who are trusted become trustworthy. Children who are respected will find proper self-respect. And children who are cared for will learn to care for others." - Rachel Roberts
Phase 3 - Critical mass
- There are tens of thousands of FL kids in publicly funded school.
- Schools are creating FL spaces where FL kids can hang out and do their own thing between classes they choose to take. School resources like the shop room, art room, science lab, gym, are turned over to FL kids when a class is not in session. FL kids have created and enforce the rules & regs to keep these spaces safe and problem free.
- Teachers are offering courses and activities based on demand.
- Experts are regularly invited into schools to meet the learning interests and needs of kids.
- Unschooling activities are arranged in communities during school hours and FL kids regularly participate in things like: local environmental activities, volunteering, extensive outdoor play, work placements, sports/lessons/hobbies, meetings or work at libraries and community centres.
- FL is more common than LD.
Phase 4 - Normalization
- Every school has an Unschooling Alternative School within its building.
- Many schools have been turned over exclusively for FL kids and they operate entirely on the SVS model. Most have student run enterprises and social-enterprise.
- Conventional schools are still around for those who want them.
- School sites have been transformed into community hubs and resources centers which operate 24/7 managed by the fully democratic school meeting.
- Colleges and universities have all created streamlined alternative entry protocols which are not based on a high school transcript.
- Youth depression, anxiety, suicide, bullying, eating-disorders and self-harm are at an all-time low.
- The massive influx of people who understand themselves, are amazing collaborators and problem solvers and know how to live an examined life, are saving the world.
Free Learners in action at svs
Free Learners keep the peace