"Living is learning." -John Taylor Gatto
The resources available to Free Learners are endless! Not only do you have the tools and people at your school, you have the whole wide world. Being a FL means shifting your view and choosing to see everything around you as a potential learning opportunity; a space or person or idea that can help you get educated. Here are some ideas and links to get you started.
Places with information, tools, mentors, teachers, coaches. Places for volunteering/internship/work/job shadowing.
Online Learning and teaching
When you know WHAT you want to learn, here are a few of the places, in addition to Google and YouTube, where you can find instruction, teachers, mentors.
- Khan Academy
Math, art, computer programming, economics, physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, finance, history, and more. A nonprofit with the mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.
Live Online Classes and Camps. Explore any interest over live video chat! Discover fun, social, and safe learning experiences for kids ages 3-18 led by passionate teachers. Classes from $10.
- program has helped millions around the world learn the essential skills they need to live and work in the 21st century. From Microsoft Office and email, to reading, math, and more— offering more than 200 topics, including more than 2,000 lessons, more than 1,000 videos, and more than 50 interactives and games, completely free.
- Courses, certificates and degrees online from Universities and industry experts. Free & paid classes, many which offer credit
- The Great Courses
- Courses on a wide variety of topics including history, mathematics, photography, high school language courses and finance.
- Watch thousands of lessons from the best as they share their stories, skills, shortcuts, failures, and successes.
You are a pioneer, but you are not alone. Many others are successfully self-educating. Many more are on this path with you. For example:
- Peer Unschooling Network
Connect with self-directed learners. See what self-directed learners have created. Learn about self-directed learning.
- Unschooling and self-directed learn specialists and consultants are widely available. A Google search is a good starting point for finding who you can hire in your region. Here are a few examples: